Funding for learners

The Scottish Government have created an interactive website to allow you to explore what finance may be available to you if you choose to study.
Visit ->

Further information about Individual Training Accounts (ITA), Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) and Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is listed below:

ITA Scotland

You could receive up to £200 towards a single course or training episode per year. ITA funding could be right for you if you're:

  • Aged 16 or over
  • Not in education or involved in any other SDS funded programme
  • Unemployed and looking to get back into work
  • Employed, earning less than £22,000 per year and looking to progress in or change your job
  • Resident in Scotland

For further information visit our website -> HERE

Student Awards Agency for Scotland – SAAS

Funding for Higher Education

SAAS is an agency of the Scottish Government that provides financial support to eligible students who are undertaking a course of Higher Education in the UK. It is the organisation to contact when you need to apply for financial support while you study. To find out if you are eligible further information can be found at: SAAS or contact their general enquiries helpline on 0300 555 0505

Part-time Study

If you are going to study part-time you may not be eligible for a student loan and bursary, but you may be entitled to apply for up to £500 towards the cost of your course.
For further information visit:

Disabled Students Allowance – DSA

If you have a disability or learning difficulty, you may also claim for certain extra expenses which arise because you are on a course of study, such as items that will aid your learning or software that could help you to study. In some cases DSA could also help to cover personal support such as sign language interpreters and note takers. For further information about eligibility visit:

Further information about extra help if you have additional support needs can be found here ->

Education Maintenance Allowance - EMA

An Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) is an allowance of £30 per week payable to eligible young adults who stay on in full-time education at school, College or if they start an Employability Programme organised by Highland Council after their 16th birthday. It can be paid for a maximum of 3 consecutive years, with usually 2 years at most in secondary school.

The young person has to satisfy attendance requirements and also complete an EMA application form. A contract has to be signed between the young person and their School or Learning Centre before payments can be issued.

It is the responsibility of the young adult applying to approach their school/supervisor in regard to completing their Learning Agreement.
Note – no payments will be issued until a Learning Agreement has been completed.

A new application for young people attending Highland Council schools / Learning Centres must be submitted each year using the correct application form. These forms are available from:

  • Highland Council Service Points
  • Highland Council Service Centre (telephone 01349 886606)

Further information and access to the application forms, guidance notes and learning agreement can also be found on the Highland Council website, telephone 01349 886659 or email

For further information about EMA for young adults attending college or university please contact the college or university directly.

Other information about funding can also be found at


Also consider...