If you are thinking of working and earning a wage the law states that you can only work a certain number of hours per week and only do certain jobs until you reach school leaving age at about 16. The youngest age that you can work part-time is 13 unless you are involved in:
- television and theatre
- similar activities
If you do undertake work of this kind you will need to get a performance licence from your local authority who will speak to your school to make sure that it doesn’t affect your studies.
Children and young people under minimum school leaving age
If you are still at school and not yet eligible to leave here are some of the things you have to consider before starting work:
- You must not work during school hours on any school day
- You must not work in any industrial setting such as a factory or industrial site
- You must not work before 7.00am or after 7.00pm
- You must not work for more than four hours without taking a break of at least one hour
- You must not work in any occupations prohibited by local byelaws or other legislation, such as pubs and betting shops
- You must not work if it may be harmful to your health, well-being or education
- You must not work at any time, if during the 12 months beginning 1 January, working means that you have not had two uninterrupted weeks of holiday from school
- You must not work for more than two hours on any school day or for more than 12 hours in any week in which you are required to go to school
- You must not work for more than two hours on a Sunday
- You must not work for more than eight hours (five hours if you are under 15) on any day which is not a school day or a Sunday
- You must not work for more than 35 hours (25 if you are under the age of 15) in any week in which you are not required to go to school
For further information visit: Young People and employment
Social Enterprise Academy’s Schools ProgrammeSocial enterprise is a dynamic business model, a business that reinvests its’ profits for community benefit. With over 5,600 social enterprises operating in Scotland today, it is our fastest growing sector. The Social Enterprise Academy’s...
What is the Employability Pipeline?Most organisations in Scotland now recognise the Employability Pipeline model, which has been developed as a framework to support the effective delivery of employability services. The pipeline is made up of 5 key stages, whereby...
Employability Fund - Skills Development ScotlandSkills Development Scotland’s Employabilty Fund has now finished for new clients. Please speak to your local SDS Advisor or contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. Alternative employability training options can be found -> HERE...
Job Search WebsitesUseful Websites for Highland Jobseekers: General Job Websites:www.Jobseekers.direct.gov.uk www.hijobs.netwww.gumtree.com/inverness www.jobrapido.co.ukwww.S1jobs.co.ukwww.topjobs.co.ukwww.stvjobs.tvwww.peopleperhour.comwww.scotcareers.co.ukwww.jobsite.co.ukwww.fish4jobs.co.ukwww.jobs.ac.ukwww.jobserve.co.ukwww.Monster.co.uk www.scotjobsnet.co.uk/ Newspaper Job Websites:www.yourjob.ajl.co.ukwww.jobs-north.co.ukwww.jobs.thesun.co.ukwww.jobs.timeonline.co.ukwww.jobs.guardian.co.ukwww.jobs.telegraph.co.uk Graduate Websites:www.faststream.gov.uk/www.just4graduates.netwww.prospects.ac.ukwww.milkround.comhttps://www.graduate-jobs.com/ Specialist Job Websites:www.inretail.co.ukwww.computingcareers.co.ukwww.nhscareers.nhs.ukwww.royalmail.comwww.planetrecruit.comwww.efinancialcareers.co.ukwww.allaboutfinancecareers.co.uk...
The Highland Council - 6 Month Trainee PlacementsPaid Public Sector Placements The Highland Council and its public sector partners are hosting paid placement opportunities, providing valuable work experience opportunities to those living in the Highland region who are not in employment, education...
Jobcentre Plus Inverness, Nairn, Badenoch and StrathspeyJobcentre Plus is an executive agency of the Department for Work and Pensions. It is responsible for assisting people of working age find jobs through its network of Jobcentre Plus offices. It is also responsible...
Job Connect @BadaguishJob Connect @Badaguish is a programme to promote equal opportunity, access to training and employment opportunities in the Cairngorms National Park. The programme is underpinned by the belief that all people, regardless of disability...
Jobcentre Plus Skye and LochalshJobcentre Plus is an executive agency of the Department for Work and Pensions. It is responsible for assisting people of working age find jobs through its network of Jobcentre Plus offices. It is also responsible...