Data Sharing - Frequently Asked Questions

Care and Learning
Sharing Information and Data Consent – What Does This Mean for You?

Q: Why does Care and Learning need to keep information about me?
A: So that we can

  • Keep in touch with you and let you know about the services Highland Council provide for young adults
  • Make sure you get the right help, advice and support when you need it
  • Work more effectively with other agencies that provide services for young adults, such as Skills Development Scotland or the Youth Service

Q: What information does Care and Learning keep about me?
A: We keep information including:

  • Your name, contact details, date of birth, gender, additional support needs and ethnic origin
  • Your education, training, and intended destination after school, such as further or higher education or employment
  • Details of other agencies that are working with you

Q: How does Care and Learning keep my information?
A: We keep your information electronically or in paper records. All information is held securely with tight controls over who can access it.

Q: Can I see the information Care and Learning holds about me?
A: Yes.

  • Complete and return a Subject Access request form: available from Council Service Points; Libraries and Council offices or download and print from our website
  • Write to the Information Manager giving as much information about your request as possible along with your name, date of birth and address.

Return the form or your letter to:
The Information Manager, Highland Council, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness, IV3 5NX

We will acknowledge receipt of your request within 10 days. If we need more information or clarification we will contact you and then respond to your request in writing within 40 days.

Q: Will Care and learning share my information with anyone else?
A: We may need to share your information with other agencies that work with us to deliver services for you. We will only do this if you have agreed to it. However, sometimes we may have to share your information because the law says we must: for example, if we believe you or others may come to harm if we don’t.
The organisations we may share information with are Skills Development Scotland (Careers); Colleges and service providers, e.g. Calman Trust.
The information we share may include: what school you attend/ed; your name; contact details; date of birth; gender; SCN number; your statutory leaving date; your actual school leaving date; your year group; your destination (what you have gone on to do); if you have any additional support needs. We will also tell SDS (Careers) if you return to school.

Q: Can I ask for information about me not to be shared?
A: Yes.
Talk to your Guidance Teacher so they understand what information you do not want to share. They will explain your rights and let you know how this will affect the service you get from us. They will also ask you to complete a data consent form. If you don’t know who to speak to you can contact the Highland Council and we will help.
Telephone 01349 868612.



Also consider...