Made in Tain

What do we offer at Stage 1 and 2?

Made in Tain is a young person's Social Enterprise company manufacturing and retailing a variety of craft and handmade products including scented candles, an aromatherapy range, cards and soaps, to name just a few. We have a shop in the centre of Tain where you can be part of the team running the business. For example, you may be helping to make products to sell in the shop or helping customers with their purchases, depending on your needs, skills and learning plan.

Who can apply?

Referrals usually come through school if you are still a pupil, NHS-Adult Services/Social work or Skills Development Scotland. In some cases we offer work experience opportunities for school pupils. We also deliver Activity Agreements which are available to young people who have left school and are unable or not ready to access more than 21 hours of post school learning or employment because of problems such as caring responsibilities, prolonged absense from school, disabilities or learning difficulties. For an activity agreement you must be aged 19 or under (or under 20 if you have an additional support need). Referrals from NHS Highland can be up to the age of 25.

We are currently only able to offer placements to young people who live in North East Ross-shire and South Sutherland.

What can you achieve?

All learning will involve confidence building activities, social skills and personal target setting. You will also learn some specialist skills that will help you to move into other options in the future, such as employment, training or further education. All our activities will help to increase your lifeskills.

Could I get a training allowance?

We do not offer a training allowance, but if you are in receipt of DWP benefits these may not be affected by attendance on this programme, but check with your Job Centre Advisor in the first instance. As part of an Activity Agreement you may be eligible for Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA). For further information and to check if you may be entitled to claim EMA visit: Highland Council EMA

Who do I contact to find out more?

If you are receiving support from Health & Social Care - speak to your Health or Social Worker in the first instance.
If you are still at school - speak to your Guidance Teacher or Skills Development Scotland Careers Advisor.
If you are registered with the Job Centre - speak to your Advisor.
You can also contact Made in Tain directly for general enquiries - details below.


Also consider...



Alison Paterson, Centre Manager, Made in Tain, 24 Tower Street, Tain
IV19 1DY