Highland Council Social Work Services Highland

Most of us need information, advice, or support at some times in our lives which cannot be provided by family or friends. Social Work Services may be able to help.

They can: provide information; assess your needs and your carer’s needs; discuss what help is available locally; provide links to Health, Housing and Education; support and arrange access to other help e.g. support workers; respond to a crisis; and take effective steps to keep people safe. They aim to act promptly to requests for information and help, and to be as flexible as possible in their response.

Social Work Teams for children and families are arranged in around secondary schools and the associated primary schools. There is an additional Child Health Team based at Raigmore Hospital, and two Teams for children with complex needs as a result of their disabilities. Access to these Teams is usually through multi–agency liason arrangements.

The Teams for children with disabilities assist young people with complex needs and their families to prepare and plan for the transition to the adult world. There are key differences which need to be taken into account. If a young person will require support in the adult world the assessment of needs to be undertaken early and in partnership with social work services for adults.

Services for adults are organised into Older and Younger Adult Teams (under 65). Some Areas have a Transitions Worker who focus on supporting people in the 18 – 25 age–group or younger when child services are already involved. Assessments of young adults are guided by the Fair Access to Community Care Services Document (FACCS), which can be provided by any Highland Council Service Point.

Contact your local Team and ask for the Duty Social Worker to make an appointment for an initial discussion, or to request a home visit.

Caithness, Sutherland & Easter Ross Wick Area Social Work Office, (Children and Families/Community Care), 125/127 High Street, Wick, KW1 4LR
Tel: 01955 605 040

Bettyhill Office, Community Care, Naver Teleservice Centre, Bettyhill, KW14 7SS
Tel: 01641 521 831

Golspie Area Team, (Children & Families/Community Care), Olsen House, Main Street, Golspie, KW10 6RA
Tel: 01408 6340 40

Lochinver Office, (Children & Families/Community Care), Culag Pier, Main Street, Lochinver, IV27 4DB
Tel: 01571 844 332

Thurso Area Office, (Children & Families/Community Care), 16 High Street, Thurso, KW14 8AG.
Tel: 01847 893 835

Children & Families Team – NE Ross, Suie House, Brigend, Alness, IV17 0UD
Tel: 01349 882 609

Community Service Team, Unit 5, River Wynd, Teaninich Industrial Estate, Alness, IV17 0PE
Tel: 01349 884 118

Criminal Justice Service, Olsen House, Main Street, Golspie, KW10 6RA
Tel: 01408 634 040

Children and Families Team – NE Ross, Scotsburn Road, Tain, IV19 1PR
Tel: 01862 893 021

Criminal Justice Service, 27b Airport Industrial Estate, Wick, KW1 5BL
Tel: 01955 603 161

Children and Families Team, NW, Mid & SE Ross, Room 1, Lochbroom House, Ladysmith Street, Ullapool, IV26 2UZ.
Tel: 01854 613 403

Community Mental Health Team, Old Medical Centre, Bankhead Road, Wick, KW1 5BL
Tel: 01955 606 915


Also consider...



125/127, High Street, Wick