The Highland Council - 6 Month Trainee Placements

Paid Public Sector Placements

The Highland Council and its public sector partners are hosting paid placement opportunities, providing valuable work experience opportunities to those living in the Highland region who are not in employment, education or training. Funded by the Highland Council and Scottish Government’s Youth Guarantee and Long-Term Unemployed funding streams, the Paid Public Sector Placements support out of work Highland residents who are looking to progress into employment. The scheme provides participants with relevant work experience and the opportunity to access training and gain valuable skills, helping them to progress into sustainable employment.

What do we offer?

  • 6 month paid work experience placements (Scottish Living Wage) 35 or 37 hours per week, however can also be reduced to 21 hours for some trainee roles.
  • Training Support from a Mentor throughout the placement
  • Support to develop an updated CV and to progress from the training placement.

Who can apply?

  • Young People Age 16 to 24 years – have left school and have limited work experience and are currently not working and are not attending college/university.
  • Adults 25 years plus – have been unemployed for at least 12 months and have had some challenges in obtaining employment.

What can I achieve?

As part of your placement you will:

  • Learn about an area of work or a business sector that may be of interest to you for future learning or employment;
  • Have the opportunity to learn and demonstrate your abilities, competencies and ability to work with others; and
  • Build a personal portfolio / C.V. that will assist you in obtaining future employment.
  • Job search assistance throughout the placement and additionally you may apply for any Highland Council internal vacancies including Highlife Highland and NHS

You will also be able to undertake training opportunities through the Employee Development Team at The Highland Council.

Can I get a training allowance?

You will be entitled to receive a wage set at the Scottish Living Wage.

Who do I contact to find out more?

Opportunities, when available, are advertised on the Highland Council Website -> HERE

Opportunities are available Highland-Wide.

You can also be referred by Skills Development Scotland, Job Centre Plus and the Highland Council.
For general enquiries email the Employability Team -


Also consider...



The Employability Team, The Highland Council, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness