Back to the Easy Read main menu... Visit My Rights in the directory... Download/Save the printable Easy Read pdf (3.6mb)

My Rights

image 1

When you become 16 and 18 years old you are given adult rights.

image 2
  • Drink alcohol at 18.
image 3

This means they are allowed to do adult things like:

  • Get married at 16
image 4
  • Vote in elections at 18

The law says you must be 18 years old or older to buy alcohol from a shop or pub.

image 5

If you want to buy alcohol, you can use a Young Scot National Entitlement Card to show you are over 18 years old or older.

You can get these from your school or a Highland Council Service Point.

image 6

Everyone has these rights but some people need help to make decisions in their life.

You can have these benefits paid into your bank account, if you have one.

image 7

You can get help to open a bank account and to fill out any forms.

You need to know where to ask for that help.

image 8

The government gives money to people called benefits.

When you turn 16 years old, you are allowed to look after your benefits.

image 9

Many disabled people are not treated equally.

That means they are not treated the same as everyone else.

image 10

You can join groups of people who work together to make things better and more equal.

image 11

The Government and the law say that this should not happen.

a a a a a
Please Note: There will be some instances where funding will be required to access a service listed in this directory. Application for this requires to be made following appropriate Highland Council and/or NHS assessment for Adult Services and consequent resource allocation procedures. Further information on accessing services can be obtained from your local Adult Services Team.