NHS Highland: Sapphire Epilepsy Nurse Specialist for Adults with Learning Disabilities download pdf

NHS Highland: Sapphire Epilepsy Nurse Specialist for Adults with Learning Disabilities

The Epilepsy Nurse helps to manage and review an adult with Learning Disability and Epilepsy in conjunction with:

  • Adult Neurology Department, Raigmore
  • General Practitioner
  • Local Learning Disability Services.

The Sapphire Specialist Epilepsy Nurse will offer every adult with a diagnosed Learning Disability and Epilepsy an opportunity to have their epilepsy reviewed annually. This offer will be made even if their condition is stable or they continue to be seizure free and continuing on medication.These review clinics will offer support, advice and counselling and where appropriate the specialist nurse will liaise with other health professionals. The Sapphire Specialist Epilepsy Nurse also provides training in epilepsy awareness and administration of rescue medication to families, carers, support staff and other professional groups to enhance the standard of care delivered to people with learning disabilities and epilepsy. 

The Sapphire Specialist Epilepsy Nurse is happy to answer questions that people with Learning Disability or their carers may have regarding any aspect of a person’s epilepsy even if no formal referral has been made.

Following the Epilepsy Transition Pathway initial referral would normally be made by the Paediatric Service. Referral can however be made by anyone using the contact details below

Further information and contact details

Street Address: Drumossie Unit, New Craigs Hospital, 6-16 Leachkin Road, Inverness, IV3 8NP

Telephone: 01463 704000

Email: shona.cameron2@nhs.net

a a a a a
Work Experience
Please Note: There will be some instances where funding will be required to access a service listed in this directory. Application for this requires to be made following appropriate Highland Council and/or NHS assessment for Adult Services and consequent resource allocation procedures. Further information on accessing services can be obtained from your local Adult Services Team.