Canal College download pdf

Canal College

What do we offer?

Delivered by Keep Scotland Beautiful, this 14 week course offers outdoor skills training on the historic Calendonian Canal in Inverness.  Projects will include landscaping, tree planting, vegetation management, archaeology, stonemasonry, conservation and the creation of heritage and wildlife trails.  Participants also learn about canal engineering, management and maintenance.

Who can apply?

This programme is suitable for anyone who is aged 16 or over [no upper age limit] and is not in education, training or employment.

What can you achieve?

In addition to achieving an SQA Level 2 Certificate in Cultural Heritage and SQA Level 5 Unit on Working Safely, you can boost your CV by gaining:

  • Saltire Volunteer Award
  • John Muir Award (Discovery Level)
  • Heritage Heroes Award
  • Canal College Certificate 

You will also undertake 14 hours a week of work experience and skills training on the Caledonian Canal.

Could I get a training allowance?

We may be able to support you with travel costs - contact us to find out more.

Who do I contact to find out more?

Contact the Inverness Office below for further details and to find out about start dates.  We run the programme 3 times a year and have an intake in May, September and January. Registration for this will be advertised on the Noticeboard. Please email or phone Alan for further information or see our booklet attached below.


file Canal_College_Booklet.pdf

Canal College Booklet

Further information and contact details

Street Address: Seaport Marina, Muirtown Wharf, Inverness, IV3 5LE

Telephone: 07849 628899

Secondary Telephone: 01786 471333



a a a a a
Work Experience
Please Note: There will be some instances where funding will be required to access a service listed in this directory. Application for this requires to be made following appropriate Highland Council and/or NHS assessment for Adult Services and consequent resource allocation procedures. Further information on accessing services can be obtained from your local Adult Services Team.